Once Easter passes, Denmark is littered with spring holidays. This past Friday was one of them called, "Store Bededag" or "Great Prayer Day" but I think it sounds better in English as "All Prayers Day". It falls on the 4th Friday after Easter and became a holiday back in the late 1600's. Store Bededag was created when several prayer days were lumped together. One of the traditions is to eat "hveder" heated up in the oven. The closest thing I can compare hveder to is American dinner rolls. The reason they are eaten was because long ago (and the majority of them still today) the bakeries would be closed on Store Bededag so they would make a ton of these rolls that you could heat up the next day. This was the first year we got to eat hveder and they were delicious. Too bad you can only get them once a year!
We spent the afternoon and evening with our friends Hella and Jens. For those of you that know Klaus, Hella is his sister. We enjoyed a 2.5 hour walk with them around Dyrehaven. It was the first time back there for us for the season. They took us up to an area we hadn't been before called, "Rådvad". It was pretty with a nice lake and some older houses. We sat and had coffee/tea and muffins.
While walking around in Dyrehaven were able to see lots of deer roaming the fields and this got us excited about summer and all the days we will be able to hang out here again. In fact we will be back in about 2 weeks with Tanya and Wayne when they come to visit.
Back at their flat, Hella and I made dinner and Michael and Jens talked about music and wine. After dinner they introduced us to one of the coolest games ever called, "Rummy Cube". It is like scrabble with numbers. I'm now addicted.
Rådvad

Our view over coffee and muffins

Jens, Hella and Michael

See the deer in the background between the trees?

Deer crossing the path

Woods of Dyrehaven starting to bloom
4 comments:
Ok, I have no clue where Dyrhaven is, but I am guessing close to Lyngby?? And it is definitely somewhere I want to go!! This looks so peaceful and so wonderful! I am reading this thinking how fresh and cool the air looks... and as I type this comment, it is 24C in Dallas with about 75% humidity in the air! I cannot wait to experience a real spring day in the spring time!!
PS: Have you noticed all their holidays SOMEHOW connect to brød??!! LOL
The pictures are beautiful! We guess it is still a bit "chilly" over there, since you all have on jackets. The park seems to peaceful! What a wonderful way to spend the day!
Thanks for sharing the great pictures of Dyrehaven. It looks like you had a nice visit w/ friends and on a pretty day.
I only visited Cph so far and looking fwd to visiting other places in Denmark like Dyrehaven in future visits.
I stayed at the hostel in Rådvad years ago with my mom. I remember it as a nice calm area.
Odense doesn't have a "Dyrehave". In Århus we went there often.
Post a Comment