Saturday, May 24, 2008

David Moorhead

I mentioned a few posts back that while T&W were visiting we got some sad news from back home. We were all shocked to hear that Michaels uncle/Tanya's little brother, David had suddenly passed away due to a heart attack. He was only 48. He leaves behind two boys, both in their young 20s. As I type this, our family in Lubbock is gathering for a memorial reception in David's honor and it tugs at my heart, that we cannot be there.

His departure serves Michael and I as a reminder of how important it is to not only cherish the time we all have together, but also to take care of yourself while you are here. These sudden heart attacks run deep in this families genes and it is something Michael and I discuss every few months. We both get physicals once a year and our doctors are well aware of this problem. Yet it is still a very frighting and very realistic threat. I hope those of you that read this, will remember to be thankful for your loved ones and above all, take care of yourself.

David was a special person in my life. He was the closet thing to an uncle that I have ever known. Yet, it had never once crossed my mind to share this with him. He (along with his siblings and mother) always made me feel like I had been in the family forever. I always felt he went out of his way to make sure I got to know him better. I loved listening to him tell me his favorite stories about Michael when he was a kid, he made the best homemade beef jerky I've ever tasted, and he was one of the best two steppers I've ever danced with. We had been in the process of working off 7 dances together that I apparently owed him from our wedding. We made it down to 3 dances left.

I will be forever grateful that we went to Lubbock back in March so we could spend time with famiy and unknown to us, get to see and visit with David one final time. I'll never forget as he left, we spoke of our 3 dances and he winked at me (as he does to everyone) as he walked out the door. It wasn't but five minutes later he called back to Nana's house to talk to me about our dances. :)

He was a warm, happy and friendly soul; and one that is going to be missed dearly.

We love you David. You will always be in all of our hearts.


David Moorhead
April 6, 1960 - May 14, 2008








9 comments:

MoMo 2.0 said...

what a precious tribute to an obviously incredible man. I am so sorry you were so far away when your family was going through this, but I know they felt your spirit the entire time.....

Ellen and Sharon said...

Nichole, the pictures were indeed a moving tribute to David. We look at those pictures, and think,"Wow, he was so young." God bless his family. His sons will miss him as will the rest of the family. You did a wonderful job of writing such a special tribute.

Anonymous said...

My Dear Buddy David,I cannt tell you how SAD I was to learn you had passed away when I returned home from a huntin trip.David I never ever told o howmuch your Friendship meant to me,I just KNEW that I truly cared for you and YOUR friendship.
You were a true friend,I will miss that,and I will sincerely miss you my TRUE friend,I am grief stricken now,as well as well as your good boys Chad & Aaron,you had a lot of great friends David,I know your Family will miss you so much.Thanksfor being the best friend a guy could have,Your the best DAVID!!!!!,your best Hunt Buddy,,I swear to yo I will keep the Ek hunt going,I know you wouldnt have it any other way,Please be with Myself,Mickey and Buddy on that great hunt we planned so very very long,,Your buddy Always,Larry Gene Pate

Rachel said...

Hi Nichole -

From the pictures you show, David definitely lit up a room and put a smile on everyone's face he was with. Your post was a great way to celebrate his life and let people who weren't fortunate to meet him, know what a great guy he was.
I'm sorry for your family's loss and will keep you in my prayers.

Marianne said...

I'm very sorry to hear that you've lost a beloved memeber of your family! I had hoped that the news from home wasn't as bad as this.

David looks like a really nice and fun guy and from how you described him, I understand why he was special to you.
48 is so young - I can only imagine what a shock it was for you.

Lyndsay said...

What a sweet post, and what a sad loss for your family. David looks like he really loved his life!

Hieu said...

A beautiful post, Nichole. You are definitely blessed to have had David in your life. --hugs--

Anonymous said...

My Dear David,I know your somewhere close to God be cause I know he has accepted you with his arms open.I justwanted you to now,I drawed that Cow Elk Tag you wanted us to get in Colorado.Mickey didnt and Mickey and Buddy will buy Bull Elk tags when we arrive October 15,2008.

I will carry you there as your mom Vineta,& Sisters,Tanya,and Kathy ask.I cannot tell you how uch this means to me,to place you under A VERY special tree where yo would want to be,I am certain the place you ask me to go will be te very right spot.

I will make certain its the right place,I PROMISE you.David I miss you ,my VERY VERY GOOD friend,My days without you to tal to and visit are long and painful.My best to all your very sweet family,As Always,,,, Larry Gene Pate

Nichole said...

Larry, we are so happy to hear that you'll be finding a perfect spot for David. This means so much to everyone. We will all be thinking about you and David when that day arrives. David was lucky to have such a wonderful friend in you...